Thursday, March 3, 2011
Thoughts on the coming months
Did you ever find yourself longing to live in a house underground in the middle of the forest during winter? When you came up you would fully appreciate the sun shining on your face and the smell of life all around. Desmond knows what I’m talking about. Hobbits did something like that right? They built houses or little mounds out of the earth? Seems like a good place to get away from Jersey Shore….I know what you are thinking…Snooki might very well be down there with the Hobbits. Lately I’ve been thinking about the transition from winter to spring. Some years we really don’t get to experience a very warm spring, nor do we always get past the mud. My favorite part of spring happens only once. There is a fleeting moment in which my nose catches the smell of life floating through the air. It only seems to appear on the first day warmer than 50 degrees F not C. It awakens something in my body that I cannot begin to describe. I feel as though it could be a very strong shot of Vitamin D (or whatever sunlight gives off) but it is more life affirming than waking up every morning. It reminds me of trees blossoming, baseball games, and the end of school. Interestingly enough spring as a beginning to something new also brings a sense of completion to most of our lives for certain things. As always, spring signals the end of a treacherous school year, possibly even a graduation. Furthermore, everyone’s favorite television shows bring their storyline to a close and open up new possible plots for next year. Although these few examples are not very prominent in the larger scheme of important elements of our lives, they do play a large role to Americans, especially people around my age, just admit it. Of course the gateway to the summer allows our adventurous spirits to finally go wild after being closed off in the cold winter months. The sense of freedom some of us feel at this time of year is something I think all adults long for. There is never really an end to the average American adult’s work cycle (unless they are a teacher), so they are left trapped without much to look forward to besides a vacation here and there. I fear that soon I will not experience the feeling I mentioned before much longer once I enter the work force in years to come. Therefore I have made it my goal to never lose the ambition to make spring and summers feel like my break from the real world no matter what I’m doing. Now let’s all begin to make our way out from our underground homes deep in the forest. Who’s with me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment